Monday, June 1, 2015

About Me: Jake Philip Longstreth



I am a 24 year old filmmaking student at Brooks Institute, emphasizing Writing, Producing, and Direction in my studies. I have studied Film Theory since I was a junior in High School. I decided to forgo College after my senior year in HS, choosing instead to pursue my (at the time) dream of becoming a Producer. However, after spending 6 months at Chernin Entertainment in Santa Monica, CA and another year at IMI Talent Agency, working under Jon Karas, it became clear to me that working inside of an office was not something I was suited for, which is how I wound up at Brooks.

I've always wanted to be involved in the filmmaking process, I just wasn’t clear on which side of production I was best suited for. Today, I love everything about being a student at Brooks Institute and all the opportunities its provided me, and will continue to provide me as time goes by.

Outside of my life as a student, I live with my girlfriend and cat in Ventura, CA. My favorite past-time, however, is writing of all kinds. I enjoy writing various types of screenplays (TV Pilots, Short & Feature Length Films, as well as writing letters to friends and family. There’s something about receiving a letter or package in the mail that is unmatched by any kind of electronic communication.

I also enjoy a number  of other activities such as photography, hiking, traveling, and reading as much as I possibly can. My favorite author is the great Michael Lewis, author of “Moneyball,” “The Blind Side,” & “The Big Short,” as well as another number of outstandingly written books. I enjoy his writing because he has a way of humanizing every story he sets out to tell, never showing an overwhelming or strong biased, which he may or may not actually possess.

Raised by both my parents to love and follow sports closely, I am a diehard fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Kings, and Lakers, as well, and most importantly, the Minnesota Vikings. Since LA has no Football team, and I have never been able to find anything redeeming about the other teams in California, I took it upon myself at a young age to choose and underdog and stick with them. The Vikings are as underdog as professional sports teams come.

I am excited to be able to share a very brief introduction of myself with you all!

JPL

No comments:

Post a Comment